Tips & Tricks Time

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 09:59
ThreadID: 135564 Views:3671 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Some years ago I posted about always carrying "Shoo Goo" as it has so many cute uses around camp.
On our recent Gibb River trip we were going for a walk up Tunnel crk the next day so I dragged out shoe goo
and touched up the soles of my water walking sandals and with a few minutes my friends produced another 4 pairs needing a fix !

I was going to say that everybody should carry their own favourites as I quickly ran out.

However No ! but as we drove up the increasingly dusty road we began to have another issue.

The zips on out soft floor camper and even our fox wing became so hard to use that we virtually had to give up and tie things down.

At first you would think this is easy to fix with a bit of WD40 or similar but its not at all.
In fact WD40 could make things worse.

Special waxes and compounds were suggested to us at camping shops but in the end I applied WD40 dry PTFE to closed zips and it really was a miracle cure as further dust would not stick.
One reason this worked is that it could be sprayed upwards (overhead).

The effect was really quite amazing and soon we had others coming up with similar issues.
Ladies shoe zips, camper trailer swing down stands , various squeaks etc.

If you have come up with any cute tips recently , let us know !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:23

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:23
Hi,
Good thought.
Only from USA on Ebay.

Where do you get it?

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 613649

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:34

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:34
Most auto-shops Bill , ours came from Supercheap which means is was costly ($20?).

However it really was a lifesaver.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884166

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:28

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:28
G'day Robin
The shoe goo is good stuff, but, I was surprised at the though tht WD40 should be used and that it apparently seems normal to people conditioned from birth to use WD40 on every living thing, ie,

Q, "At first you would think this is easy to fix with a bit of WD40 or similar but its not at all.
In fact WD40 could make things worse".

WD40 is a hydrocarbon based fluid and attracts dust and dirt, so if you stop to think about it, it isn't a good idea.
WD40 isn't a good lubricant either, it is very thin and dries out so the problem return soon after.
I never buy the stuff and haven't used it for many years. Lanolin, yes, Silicon spray, yes. Moly spray, yes.
WD 40 used to be used on vehicle ignitions, but metho was more effective as it dispersed the water and cleaned the surface AND dried out leaving NO residue to cause the problem again next week. WD40 is rubbish.

Silicon spray allows you to use a home sewing machine to run the foot across rubberbacked curtain material when making curtains for your house, or doesn't anyone do that anymore or can't.

You would be surprised at the number of women who could have solved the zip problem as they have done that is the past.

My Dad used to use shoe goo in the 50's so not a new thing.
AnswerID: 613650

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:41

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:41
Hi RMD

Yep , I'll have to check out Silicon , as PTFE is dear enough.

When I think about I didn't use my WD40 on the whole trip - I think its still there as we always used to light it and scare away the flies or light the fire but these days we just use buthane can torch.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884167

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 09:22

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 09:22
Dust sticks to silicon sprays.
FollowupID: 884227

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 12:47

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 12:47
For zips on our camper trailer and others that are exposed to dust and stuff my wife always gives them a light rub with a candle.
The wax does not seem to attract as much dust as others products we have used.
I wanted to try graphite power and was told to go away.
Cheers
AnswerID: 613655

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:49

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 15:49
I could imagine the reaction to graphite powder Blue.

Wax can help ,used that before, I think the thing with Ptfe spray is that in has such a low surface tension that it crawls in everywhere.

When I did my fox wing for example , its above head height on the roof, and it was windy. The zip was closed and you could run spray along the zip and it would go right thru the closed zip and coat everything. Leave it for 10minites and the carrier fully evaporates off.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884168

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 19:27

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 19:27
Beat me to it Blue M. We had a canvas cover over a frame on the tray of a Landcruiser ute, and the dust used to jam them. I carried household sized candles and rubbed one over the zips.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 884174

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:56

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:56
Hi Robin

Interesting use for the clothes pegs. Shoo Goo is new to me. I will investigate. Kwik Grip has always been my preference for shoes.

I have used dry PTFE (Teflon) for a couple of years on zippers, sliding window tracks, saw blades, door hinges etc. It works very well and doesn't attract the dust.

It seems to last quite a long time. I just resprayed the zip on my quick awning after two years since the original spray and it probably didn't need it.

I have never used it on electrical connections as the literature says it has a very high electrical resistance. I must admit I have been tempted to use it on the 7 pin trailer plug as I find keeping the plug clean and lubricated a pain.

It is expensive at about $14 for a small can but it goes a long way

Cheers John
AnswerID: 613713

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:08

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:08
Hi John

Yes , shoo goo also has filing properties you can get it in either black or clear.

I have even re-built a ripped off tyre lug in the bush with it and it lasted more than a 1000km till I got home.

I use mine on trailer plugs ok.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884252

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 14:54

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 14:54
Just used the shoo goo on my caravan plug and it seems to have clogged it up. Any hints on removing it.
Dave.
FollowupID: 884259

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 09:26

Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 09:26
Not really Dave ,its a super sticky filler and mostly I have had to cut it out bit by bit when you can't get at it to weaken it and rub it off with petrol if it gets on hands etc.

Don't know about yours but I got a 7 pin flat Narva connector the other day and at that cost it was better than fixing up a dodgy one.

P.S. I don't think its neutral cure and is probably bad for exposed wiring/pins in long term.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884293

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 22:22

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 22:22
Hi Robin
Bet Anne didn't do any washing that day, had on pegs. As for tips l cut up a thong to make a hinge when one broke on the camper, worst part was l had to wear boots for the rest of the trip.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613732

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:11

Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:11
Hi Murray

Next time I need a hinge can I use your other thong as ones not much good to you !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884253

Sponsored Links